- Conduct technical appraisals of applications made for tenements (exploration licences, mining leases, alluvial mining leases).
- Conduct compliance checks of exploration reports submitted as per terms of grant of exploration licenses.
- Conduct appraisals of technical reports submitted by mining companies on the feasibility of mine developments and advise companies on all relevant regulatory requirements for the development of a mining project.
- Collate relevant mining statistics for informing other government agencies when requested through the Executive Manager, Regulatory Operations Division.
- Provide advice on regulatory matters and mining statistics to the Development Coordination Division in assisting with multi-stakeholder consultation forums for respective mining projects.
- Collaborate with the Geological Survey Division on the assessment of geological data submitted from exploration and mining activities.
- Inform research and collaborative efforts in the review and development of mining sector policies and legislation through the office of the Executive Manager.
Conduct Environmental Assessments of special Projects e.g. EU Sysmin Mine Sector Programme and MSSP Project B : Independent evaluation of deep sea mine tailings placement (DSTP) in PNG